Saturday 9 February 2008

DIARY OF "SINS"



SECOND-WEEK…Sunday. My folks were calling me on the phone from everywhere: “Junior, congrats. You have done it again!” “Ah Jay-I thank God for you o!” “Ol’ boy, you are always the man- just believe…gbabe!” The calls came in different shapes; from the sublime to the ridiculous. “Don’t you think our friendship should blossom this season”, Aisha suggested. “My man, better get down with one slim-shady or is it slim-lady!” said Titi. “Ah Jay, this is the time to enjoy what you sorely missed on campus and in camp. Am sure you’ve got pretty birds in there-your office men!” Jide advised. Oops! Where did these crazy folks drop from? I was still wondering when another voice popped up from phone: “Congrats! Big boy - Jay, don’t forget to send me MTN 3000 Naira recharge card. And here’s my bank account …sweet day!” What on earth is happening? Monday. I got to office with more confidence than anxiety. Last week during my attachment I learnt about some high-sounding words like: fluoroscopy, angiography, accuson sequoia, sonoline g-20 and the list was endless. It was a moment of learning new things. Tuesday - Saturday. I was still learning the nitty-gritty of my employer’s awesome organization. All the employees are understanding, friendly, patient and hardworking. The smiles on their faces reassured me that: I can…Now I felt gusto of ease surrounding me. When Duke, my good pal visited my workplace- Grand Dome Place-, he was overwhelmed by what he saw. “Wow! It is a delightful aesthetics’ masterpiece”. “Junior, I love this place!” Duke said.” You are pretty fortunate. First job- fine place!” He paused for what seemed like eternity and asked: “Can I stay here forever!?” I looked at him in surprise; he sure knew he could not. How I wish he could! I thanked him for coming. Or what can I do without you well-wishers out there- praying, fasting and fantasizing on my behalf? “But,” he said as he was leaving, “don’t forget your guys o!” What a Parthian shot….

No comments: